Sometimes it takes finding a two-month old shipping invoice to write up a chart…
1. Captain Planet – Lagos Speedway [Bastard Jazz]
Led by an inverted “But It’s Alright” guitar line, this dancefloor mover builds from a funk workout to something wholly other with thick synths to rattle the subs. Off the ‘Speakin’ Nuyorican’ EP.
2. DJ Mujava – Township Funk (Mark Pritchard’s Version Excursion) [Warp Records]
Adding to the endless list of Township Funk remixes, Mark Pritchard [Global Communication] keeps the temperature at simmer with his deep and mellow reworking of Mujava’s international superhit.
3. The Gaslamp Killer – Turk Mex [Brainfeeder]
Traditional Turkish guitars meet creeking, tweeking cut’n’paste psychedelia. I love everything this guy does. Looking forward to getting my hands on that Gonjasufi LP soon.
4. Grizzly Bear – While You Wait For the Others (feat. Michael MacDonald) [Warp Records]
Michael MacDonald (yes, THAT Michael MacDonald) gets hold of the instrumental and adds his own vocal. Surprisingly effective, especially when he goes for it at the end.
5. Toy Selectah – Hay Guey [Bersa Discos]
Mexico’s Toy Selectah provide a thumping twist on traditional cumbia on Bersa Discos EP #5. Dancefloor burner.
6. DJ Negro – Lluvia [Bersa Discos]
Dancefloor-filling digital cumbia from Bersa Discos EP #2. Incredible.
7. Chancha Via Circuito – Cumbia Murguera [Bersa Discos]
Another dancefloor-burning digital cumbia from Bersa Discos EP #3. I can’t get enough of this!!
8. Blu Jemz – Turn Away [Money Studies]
Mo’Wax Headz-style downtempo from the Secret Hangout EP on Turntable Lab’s own label. Nice Gaslamp Killer track on there too!
9. Kings Go Forth – Don’t Take My Shadow (A Tom Moulton Mix) [Luaka Bop]
NYC disco remix legend Tom Moulton reworks this vocal-driven cut from the upstart Milwaukee soul 10-piece. These guys are going places!