Feels like summer. Time for new records!
1. Jonathan Krisp – 52nd Street [Cookshop]
Ridiculously catchy new single from Mr. Krisp. Inna soulful drum’n’bass stylee I can get behind.
2. Cedar Walton – Low Rider [white label]
As hyped by the Idjut Boys on their Press Play mix, this is a great electrofunkified cover of the War classic.
3. HSS – Saturday Night Dread [BSTRD Boots]
Hydroponic Sound System come correct once again with a big rasta-flavored dancefloor jam.
4. Flevans – Cold Hands [Jack to Phono]
Quirky, funky electro flavors from Flevans. A taster of his new ‘Unfabulous’ full length.
5. Paul Murphy – Soul Call [Afro Art]
A soon-to-be-classic jazzy downtempo from the very deep full length, ‘The Trip.’ Recommended!
6. Henry Mancini and his Concert Orchestra – Peter Gunn (new version) [RCA]
Bass-heavy grooves from the very funky ‘Symphonic Soul’ full length (1975)
7. Kid Gusto – Melo D [True Grooves]
Drum-heavy Brazilian flavor from local hero Kid Gusto. Nice!
8. Deirdre Wilson Tabac – Get Back [Jazzman Records]
Very funky version of the Beatles tune reissued on the always-excellent Jazzman Records.
9. Basement Jaxx – Make Me Sweat [XL Recordings]
The new hottness from Basement Jaxx with Roxanne Shante on guest vocals. Hands down, the dancefloor banger of the summer. Period.
10. Kenny Rogers – You Turn the Light On [United Artists]
Kenny Rogers gets all country funk on yr unsuspecting arse. For real.